• November 2Follow us on Twitter! @theblufferPBHS

PBHS Trap Team

As many of you know, our school has a Trap Team. In trap shooting, the shooter uses a shotgun and must shoot at skeet, which is a clay target, when he calls “pull”. In trap shooting, the rules say the targets must be thrown no less than 48 yards and no more than 52 yards and should be between 8 to 12 feet high and 10 yards from the trap.

Hannah Cash (Senior) has been a member of the Poplar Bluff Trap Team for five years now. She became interested in the sport because of her brother, who started before her. Hannah has won over 40 medals and made it to nationals three times. Beyond that she helped start the Jr. High Trap Team and also helps clean up at the Gun Club. Hannah has a huge passion for trap shooting and she hopes to win Nationals again this year and go to college on a trap shooting scholarship.

Josh Wesemann is one of the two Poplar Bluff Trap Team sponsors. When Josh was in high school the Trap Team wasn’t offered, if it was, he says he would’ve joined. His role on the team is to coach the members of the team, and to help them progress in the sport. He also likes to encourage them to be the best athlete they can be. This October will make three years since Josh started the Jr. High Trap Team, then in December he took over the high school team as well. Josh is “hoping to build the team even bigger.” He is wanting the team to accomplish many great things this season, including creating an all-girls squad, a group of five girls shooting together. The team will be competing in two championships this year, and he would like to place in at least one of them.

Sandy Pike and Josh Wesemann offer trap practice Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays, but require their athletes to shoot at least 100 rounds a week. Sandy is beginning her third year coaching the Poplar Bluff Trap Team. Sandy hopes for her athletes “to be the best they can be and to grow and achieve their goals, but most importantly, to just have fun!” Like Josh, Sandy hopes to have an all-girls squad this year. Sandy became interested in trap from her son, Jon Pike. She says, “He wanted to join the trap team, so we did!” She says Trap Team is more like a “family” to her.