• November 2Follow us on Twitter! @theblufferPBHS

PBHS Welcomes Mrs. Ivy to Her New Role

Jackson Winters, Staff Writer

In the words of Tom Sachs: “Hard work is rewarded with more work.” Nothing exemplifies Mrs. Ivy, the new PBHS freshmen principal, more.

Mrs. Ivy is a PBHS alumna, completed her student teaching for her Bachelor of Science in Education in the PBR1 District in 2002, and began as a substitute teacher and classroom volunteer in the district in 2003.  , until eventually The following year, she began her teaching career as a science and reading teacher at the former 5th and 6th Grade Center. middle school.  Her work, along with the help of Mr. Harper and a few other key teacher leaders, helped Poplar Bluff schools obtain a grant for the eMINTS program. This program provided technology to many classrooms, one of which was Mrs. Ivy’s. During this time, she was also attending classes to become an eMINTS certified teacher. After that, she continued teaching 5th grade students while simultaneously stepping into the role of being the district’s eMINTS Educational Technology Specialist. Her hopes were to help teachers learn how to use modern instructional strategies coupled with technology to improve student learning.  She trained district teachers, and helped gather research, materials, and resources for this new transformation within the PBR1 district. Mrs. Ivy continued her career as one of the district’s Instructional Technology Facilitators at the junior high in 2013, where every student had a Macbook, and then advanced to the high school when they joined in with going one-to-one with technology the following year.

While doing all this, she continued to learn even more. She earned her Master’s degree in Educational Technology, her Specialist degree in District and Building Level Administration, and is currently working toward her Doctorate in Leadership. When the opportunity opened up for the freshmen principal position, she went for it. She has found new challenges, and like many of the freshmen she presides over, she is “learning as (she) goes, but enjoying every minute of it.  I encourage all of my students to set goals, as goals give us something to look forward to in the future. My goal is to work collaboratively with our administrative team and our teachers on improving consistency and communication.  We need to be certain that we are doing everything we can to do what is best for our students.”

Mrs. Ivy personifies hard work. Her entire career, she has continued to work hard, not only to put herself in a better position, but to more importantly put those around her in a better position. She has done so much for the students at PBHS, and taking on a new role as a principal, she is very excited to do even more. All this, coupled with an administrative team that she is “very excited about,” the future is very bright for staff and students at PBHS.