• November 2Follow us on Twitter! @theblufferPBHS

New Leadership

Megan Kirby, Co-editor

The first year at the new PBHS campus is almost over, and summer is just around the corner.  The 2017-2018 school year will bring changes, with seniors leaving as well as teachers and school administrators. Mr. Kiehne will be leaving our district and Mr. Owen will be taking his place as Head Principal. Mr. Owen, the current Freshmen Principal, is excited for this opportunity to continue to improve our school.

Mr. Owen’s has been a school administrator for 16 years. He attended Three Rivers College and William’s Baptist College, and earned his Master’s and Specialist in Education degrees at SEMO.  Before becoming a school administrator, he taught at the 5th and 6th grade center, where he later became Principal.  He then moved to the High School and has served as Freshman Principal for the past four years.  Mr. Owen is looking forward to his next position as Head Principal of the High School.

When asked about his favorite part of being a school administrator and educator, Mr. Owen said that it is interacting with the kids.  His least favorite part of the job is dealing with people who get upset, either with the decisions they made or incidents that occurred.  As the new Head Principal, Mr. Owen believes the most challenging thing will be dealing with the many responsibilities, even tiny ones, the Principal faces on a daily basis.  Mr. Owen believes that the school has some “good things in place,” and wants to continue to look for new ways to benefit the school and students.

Next year, PBHS is going to try some new things, such as the FLEX program (Future Leaders Exchange).  The seniors will be the first to try this program, which will later move down to the lower grades.  This program will allow students to leave school to either go to college, work, or even do internships as long as they meet certain school criteria.  Mr. Owen is excited for this program and believes it will “benefit a lot of kids.”

Poplar Bluff High School saw a lot of changes this year and next year it will see even more.  Mr. Kienne will be missed, but the student body looks forward to the future and the improvements that Mr. Owen plans to make for our school. Mr. Owen has both the experience and dedication to lead the students and faculty to great achievements.  Go Mules!