• November 2Follow us on Twitter! @theblufferPBHS

Homecoming 2017

Jackson Winters, Staff Writer

Homecoming at Poplar Bluff means three things: homecoming court, pep rallies, and sports.

The homecoming court at PBHS is always an excellent opportunity for students to get involved in school activities, and there is no better way to do that than letting students vote in their own queen. Mr. Davis and Mrs. Conover worked to “get out the vote” while nominees wore their sashes to attempt to pull in voters. This year, Franzia Esquivel took the crown. She was escorted by Tyreik Ellis, and received the crown from Cassie Porter, last year’s victor. Overall, the contest embodied the level of unity and competition that homecoming is meant to achieve.

This year’s pep rally, whilst one of good fun and competition, was also one of controversy. After not allowing the game “Spokes” to be played at the last rally, both seniors and juniors alike formed a bond to bring back the game. This lead to a storming of the court where all classes attempted to compete in a game of Spokes, but were quickly broken up by student council and faculty. Despite this tension between students and the administration, there was still a sense of school pride in the air as students competed against each other to bring their class honor and glory. The festivities were closed out by a fifth quarter celebration at the end of the basketball game that evening.

At PBHS homecoming, there is always a time to celebrate seniors apart of their respected sports and the team’s accomplishments. This time around seniors from the girls and boys basketball team, the swim team, the cheerleader squad, academic team, and pom squad were recognized. The boys basketball team faced Notre Dame later in the evening, where sophomore Dominique Hardimon lead the team with 25 points.