• November 2Follow us on Twitter! @theblufferPBHS

PBHS Wrestling

Reagan Myers, Staff Writer

Wrestling season is underway at Poplar Bluff High School. The team started the season well at home, winning 70-12 over Kennett on December 6. This year, the team will have to overcome its youth and inexperience in order to perform well. “We had more experience last year. Got a few more rookies in the lineup this year, it makes it tougher against the better teams,” said Coach Sievers. Of course, the team isn’t completely without experience, with mostly seniors making up the varsity line up. “Most of the guys in the varsity line up have been there before. The seniors have done a good job so far this year. We’ve already had a few changes in the line up this year, but things have mostly been working out the way I thought they would,” said Coach Sievers. Coach Sievers is optimistic in the long run for his team. “These kids will get better as the year goes on. After Christmas, when everyone gets to the weight they need to be, we should be a pretty competitive team,” said Coach Sievers. Coach Sievers, when he was asked who might break out, replied, “I hate to single people out, but I guess… when it comes to the breakout guys, you have to look at the younger guys in the lineup. I really hate to single people out, but we have some really competitive people, especially the lower to middle weights, 20-60 or so, that’s where we’re the strongest.” Their next match starts January 11 against St. Louis University in Arnold. Senior night for wrestling will be on January 31.